“An active mind cannot exist in an inactive body.” – General George S. Patton
Physical education at Illogan Primary School promotes team work, curiosity, resilience and high aspirations in all its pupils.
Children are encouraged to become active and healthy members of the school and community by participating in our inclusive, diverse and engaging curriculum. It balances indoor and outdoor sports, extra-curricular activities and participation in competitions to enable children to develop key skills within EYFS-Y6. This equips children with opportunities to be responsible for communicating effectively, being curious about new sports and leading a healthy, active lifestyle.
PE at Illogan School aims to develop each child emotionally, aesthetically, spiritually, intellectually and socially which ultimately embodies our Illogan values of ‘be here, be you and be long’.
We aim to:
- Enable all children to experience physical activities and skills developing coordination, agility and balance.
- Encourage communication, teamwork and social skills in group situations.
- Develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities.
- Increase children’s ability to use the skills they have learnt to improve the quality and control of performance.
- Teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies react during exercise and the benefits that can be gained.
- Develop enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and curiosity and by providing a range of diverse activities, catering for all needs and abilities in an inclusive environment.
- Give children opportunities to participate in sporting competitions within the community.
- Develop strategies in children of how to be responsible in improving and succeeding and how to evaluate their performance.
- Ensure that each child has access to 1 hour of quality P.E provision each week and also have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular activities.
How do we teach PE at Illogan School?
At Illogan Primary School we follow the ‘real PE’ curriculum which is a unique, holistic approach to teaching and learning. It provides fun and engaging lessons that are aligned to the National Curriculum and Ofsted requirements. PE is taught for 1 hour per week and focusses on the development of agility, balance, coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning. Children are then able to apply these learnt skills into competitive game play.
Please find below links to the long term plan for the progression of skills and learning within the Real PE curriculum.
Competition and Sporting Achievements
Illogan School’s PE Display
The PE Policy and PE and Sports Spending documents can be downloaded from the links below:
Useful PE and movement websites
Cosmic Kids Yoga- https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
KIDZ BOP Dance Along- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMr-d2PLsO95ydptpBnsxdQNSKc9iUNU0
Our PE subject leader is Miss Rapsey (Year 1 Class Teacher)