“Design is intelligence made visible.”
Design Technology provides our children with a vital opportunity to be creative. We believe all pupils should be supported to develop their design skills by exploring the designs and world in which they live. A vital part of our Design Technology teaching involves encouraging the children to recognise the impact and importance that design has on their day to day lives and how they too can be creative and innovative themselves, to become the designers of the future. Design Technology provides our pupils with the opportunity to work and think as individuals and as part of a team, which helps them develop and learn while demonstrating our key values – Aspire, Believe, Create, Dazzle.
Our aims for Design Technology:
- To learn about every day products, considering their design and impact.
- To learn essential practical life skills such as sewing and cooking.
- To consider the uses of different materials and tools.
- By using real life design issues to develop their problem solving skills.
- To design and make products for purpose and evaluate their effectiveness to solve the real life issue.
- To name and discuss the work of renowned designers.
- To understand how design has changed over time.
- To develop relevant terminology and vocabulary related to Design Technology.
How do we teach Design Technology at Illogan?
At Illogan we follow the guidance of the National Curriculum, where Design Technology is a compulsory subject in Key Stage 1 and 2, with Statutory Programmes of Study. These are linked to the children’s project work in either Geography or History, if a significant link can be made.
Below is a whole school overview of our Design Technology curriculum:
Design Technology websites to explore:
http://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk/ The content of Food a Fact of Life is carefully tailored to the teaching curriculum for 5- to 11- year olds. The site provides interactive projects and information sheets for children to help them discover more about the food they eat and you can download classroom and lesson resources including PowerPoint presentations, posters and activity cards.
Our Design Technology subject lead is Mrs R Shaw.